10 March, 2009

Szeged, Hungary ~ Capsicum Paprikash





Dinner from Hungary

~~~~~*~~~~~




While poking about the spice shelves at our local grocery salvage outlet, The Friday Store, I spied a tin that had a very familiar look to it. I have used Pride of Szeged Paprika before, both sweet and savory. They have great flavors that are unlike our local Southwestern capsicum chiles, similar, but sweeter, less pungent.



This tin was something I had never seen before. Given that I liked their other products, I figured WTF... for a dollar, I'd give it a try.







Early yesterday afternoon, I made a marinade with the Pride of Szeged Chicken Rub, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. Once it was mixed thoroughly, I brushed it on two chicken hind quarters, put them into a plastic container and covered them with the remaining marinade. I put them in the refrigerator for about four hours.


After marinading, I placed the chicken in a cassarole and added a medium onion, chopped coarse, and the juice of half a lemon, covered it with foil and put it into a medium (325/350 degree) oven.





I pulled the foil off after an hour and allowed the meat to brown, turning once. Total time in the oven, 2 hours.



While the chicken baked, I made up a herb/garlic mixture of wild and domestic rice in the rice cooker (great things, rice cookers are!) And served the chicken and rice with a spring greens salad (Mesclun) ....and more lemon! I topped off the chicken with a dollop of Gene Amole's Summer Chile (picalilli) recipe.


~Dinner from Hungary~

No comments:

Post a Comment